Dispute Resolution Ombudsman Limited is an independent not-for-profit, government approved Ombudsman. The Dispute Resolution Ombudsman Limited, incorporating The Furniture and Home Improvement Ombudsman and Rail Ombudsman provides alternative dispute resolution for the rail, retail, furniture, home improvement and other consumer services sectors.
Our vision is to inspire consumer confidence, raise industry standards and resolve disputes without the need for costly litigation. We are neither a consumer champion nor a trade body.
We operate independently to ensure fairness in every case. with the aim of building a bridge between both sides, to resolve disputes and reach the right resolution. We're totally independent which means we can be trusted to help reach an agreement that is fair for both parties.
The organisation is a City & Guilds Approved Training Centre which offers an array of training courses covering customer service, consumer and retail law and complaint management.
This is an exciting and unique opportunity to join a growing organisation which provides Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) to a range of businesses and their consumers.
You will play a lead role within a team of experienced legal and ADR professionals resolving disputes between businesses and consumers. Your primary role will be to assess evidence, conciliate/mediate and adjudicate on an assigned case load. You will be expected to give legal advice on consumer law and complaint management to subscribing members and deliver both internal and external training workshops.
As well as supporting colleagues on a day to day basis, you will be responsible for providing training against strict SLAs. You will need to demonstrate expert knowledge of relevant aspects of ADR and the rail/furniture & home improvement industry and any other sectors within which the Ombudsman operates.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Using your legal knowledge, assess evidence and use a method of conciliation/mediation and adjudication to resolve disputes between businesses and consumers.
- You will manage a 50% case load in addition to the other Team Lead responsibilities
- You will assist in the allocation cases to the Ombudsman, to ensure a fair allocation of cases
- Final Point of escalation for complaints about our service or decisions, taking responsibility for resolving them against strict SLAs
- Actively support and mentor colleagues and members with legal and dispute resolution help, support and guidance
- Ensure that the highest standards are achieved and maintained in accordance with our rules, values and quality assurance policies
- You will lead by example, both in your adherence to, and supporting colleagues, in relation to SLAs, quality and performance
- You will be accountable for the accuracy and consistent delivery of our services
- You will challenge our approach to delivering our services to ensure that we consistently improve and evolve wherever possible
- Support Ombudsman in ensuring cases are completed in a timely and effective way against stringent SLAs
- Carry out regular 1-2-1s with Ombudsman and highlight any potential issues with the service or delivery to a Senior Ombudsman
- Carry out other reviews with Ombudsman as are from time to time required, such as probation reviews
- Support the SMT in all aspects of service delivery
- Develop, write and deliver training courses in consumer law and other related topics
- The role will involve travelling around the country to deliver training and engaging with stakeholders, sometimes with short notice
- Identify new areas where training is required
- Promote the Ombudsman’s range of training courses, as directed, to emphasize our aims to raise standards within industry
- Write and deliver internal training and know-hows regularly
- Keep abreast of legal developments and changes; increase knowledge with CPD
- Using your legal knowledge, assess evidence and use a method of conciliation/mediation and adjudication to resolve disputes between businesses and consumers
- Communicate with stakeholders professionally by telephone, email, text message and letter as appropriate keeping within SLAs
- Provide sound legal advice to business on consumer law and complaint management
- Keep abreast of current legislation and demonstrate this through internal know-how sessions and personal learning
- Assess legal documents for accuracy (e.g. T&C’s, guarantees, warranties, etc)
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with all stakeholders remotely and face-to-face
- Lead team colleagues to improve the quality of the ADR and legal service provision to stakeholders
- Author legal articles for publication in consumer and industry press, as required
- In line with the organisation’s Communication Plan and other business objectives, engage with members, consumers, government and third sector organisations to develop/enhance/maintain relations and improve the profile of the Ombudsman
Personal Attributes and Skills
- Proven legal skills, with solid knowledge of current consumer and contract law, supported by an appropriate degree level qualification (minimum LL.B)
- Ability to apply legal knowledge and make sound decisions
- Proven supervisory experience and ability to lead a team
- Technical expertise in the ADR and furniture and home improvement/rail industry, and any other sectors within which the Ombudsman operates.
- Ability to confidently deliver training
- Perseverance and determination in achieving individual and team targets
- Dependable and reliable: able to produce consistently high quality and quantity of work
- Excellent prioritisation and able to reach decisions quickly and effectively
- Excellent organisational abilities
- First class customer service skills
- Confident, authoritative and able to communicate at all levels
- High attention to detail
- IT Literate (Microsoft Office)
- Ability to change and adapt to the business need
- Welsh speaking would be advantageous
Because of the changing nature of our business, your job description will inevitably change. You will, from time to time, be required to undertake other activities of a similar nature that fall within your capabilities as directed by management.
- Holiday Allocation: 22 days plus bank holiday (1 day increase per year of service up to 5 days)
- Company pension scheme: The People Pension 3%
- Free Parking
- Insurance Protection
How to apply
Please send your CV to email@example.com